Dynamic logistics and aviation business John Menzies plc needed a flexible, scalable IT infrastructure to support its ambitious growth plans. And it needed it quickly.
As a company that services 300 airlines, has customers at 140 airports worldwide, handles 1.2 million aircraft movements a year and 1.7 million tons of cargo, bulk delivers 5 million newspapers daily and supplies almost half the UK’s retailers, Menzies understands the importance of meeting deadlines. Failure at any point would mean stores have empty shelves, newspapers don’t get delivered and planes don’t take off on time.
As part of its change management strategy, John Menzies plc is undergoing a 12-month IT transformation programme, under which its IT and networks infrastructure has been outsourced to Sungard Availability Services, its chosen technology partner, and many services transformed into cloud-based solutions. This will allow Menzies to focus on its core business – not only freeing up time, capital and resources, but also giving Menzies the worldwide capabilities, reliability and agility the business demands.
- Lower IT running costs – 20% headline savings plus efficiency gains
- Introduction of best practice ITIL processes globally
- Greatly enhanced IT availability, flexibility and scalability
- Ability to take advantage of cloud-based solutions
- Move from a Capex to Opex model releases valuable capital
- Agility to capitalise on business opportunities.
- Cloud and Infrastructure Consulting
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) – OS/Platform management
- Enterprise Cloud Services – resilient, secure managed cloud with SLA-backed uptime of 99.95%
- Hybrid IT Management
- Cloud-based Recovery for cloud-enabled systems
- Disaster Recovery as a Service for legacy systems.
Why Sungard AS?
"We did look at a range of organisations but in reality there were only a small number of companies with the capability to give us what we wanted in terms of technology, the economics and willingness to work with us in the challenging timescale to get to a deal that worked for both of us," explains CIO, John Menzies plc.
"One of Sungard AS’ strengths is their pragmatic approach. They're willing to be flexible and compromise. We found there’s the sense of a joint effort – “How are we going to do this?” The relationship gives us the best of both worlds – the infrastructure, scale and experience of a big company but not the inflexibility and rigidity that often comes with it."
- Sungard AS partners with you to understand your unique business needs and provide production and recovery services tailored to help you achieve your business outcomes.
- We apply our deep expertise and experience in recovery to design, build and run production environments that are more resilient and available.
- We will work alongside you to deliver the right environments to meet your needs quickly, flexibly, and cost-effectively.