A contemporary politician once quipped, “Corporations are people, too,” in the final weeks of a hard-fought campaign. While his comments were controversial at the time, the notion that corporations are people, too, is nothing new – they have been considered as such since the beginning of the American republic.
But how does this translate into today’s highly connected business landscape? Do people matter as much as the technology that is transforming the enterprise? How can corporations take steps to embrace new IT strategies while avoiding obstacles such as costs, skills, leadership buy-in and technological complexity?
The good news is that people are working behind the scenes to keep business flowing and thriving, even though more and more employees are operating from home. While 93% of enterprises have a multi-cloud strategy in place, cloud adoption is still on the rise, and new digital technologies are playing a key role in keeping businesses – and people – resilient.
Here are some key guiding principles to consider when mapping out your own company’s digital transformation journey. Keep in mind that every roadmap is unique:
- Start with a strategy. Knowing where you want to go and what you are hoping to achieve will help you choose the best path forward.
- One size does not fit all! Your unique constraints and dependencies, not to mention regulatory requirements and existing solutions, will shape your journey.
- Lock in top-level support. Your leadership team will be your biggest supporters – if you get them on board early in the process.
- Assess your skills. As your digital transformation proceeds, make sure you have the skills and resources available to sustain your journey.
- Keep it safe and secure. Along the way, don’t forget to put in place (and continually test) the necessary security, back-up and disaster recovery measures to keep you resilient.
It’s never a bad idea to get outside perspectives and assistance to put your plans into motion. Partners like Sungard Availability Services (Sungard AS) can help you identify and map priorities, construct and design the optimal roadmap, address stakeholder concerns, deliver a migration strategy and support IT needs in the future.
With more than 40 years delivering resilient, highly available hybrid solutions, Sungard AS can help modernize an end-to-end connected infrastructure encompassing cloud, recovery and workplace solutions. Let our thousands of technology experts from 75 hardened data centers and workplace recovery facilities throughout North America and EMEA help you put together a comprehensive plan to thrive in the cloud.
And once you have a plan in place, Sungard AS can help you keep your technology and people connected so they can continue working seamlessly no matter what roadblocks pop up along the way. After all, as Tony Robbins says, the only impossible journey is the one you never begin.
To learn more about how Sungard AS can help please download the white paper: How to Thrive in the Cloud.