The Related Companies, a privately-owned real estate firm based in New York City, owns many luxury residential properties throughout North America. Snowmass Hospitality, a Related Company property located in the magnificent Aspen Snowmass ski country, offers a skier’s paradise with luxury ski-in condos providing access to premier shopping, dining and entertainment. Snowmass Hospitality partners with Sungard Availability Services to host its hospitality property management system in the cloud – supporting several properties and construction projects around the ski area.
In brief, this provides Snowmass Hospitality personnel with the confidence to use tools to find, book, host and get to know guests – as well as keep them happy. This includes their mobile devices that, through a mobile front desk, allow van or shuttle bus drivers to check guests in at the airport with just an air card and laptop, getting skiers checked into their hotels and to the mountain quicker and with fewer lines.
About Snowmass Hospitality
- Headquarters: Aspen, Colorado
- Operates condos, a boutique hotel, and mixed-use properties in and around the ski area at Aspen Snowmass
- 60 professional employees
- Sungard AS Solutions: Enterprise Cloud Services
High availability is critical
For Snowmass Hospitality, high availability is critical during the skiing season, from Thanksgiving until April 22. “We’re busy from the first drop of snow until spring,”says Russ Potter, Snowmass Hospitality IT Manager. “Today our hospitality property management system is available to us from virtually anywhere, and that’s attractive because we have so many office entities. The managed cloud service keeps it all operating smoothly.”
Managed Cloud Services
In 2012, Potter retained Sungard AS to provide managed cloud services based on a vendor search that began in late 2011. The previous hosting provider was too small to handle the village’s growing needs. Sungard AS’ industry reputation and long-term vendor relationship with Related Companies were factors in the choice. Potter’s belief that Sungard AS was “committed” to his operation – with its service level agreements and emphasis on security protection – gave him the confidence they could satisfy all the RFP requirements.
The changeover occurred with “no hiccups,” Potter recalls. Sungard AS provided accommodations in migrating the infrastructure to the new virtualized platform, comprising six servers at a Sungard AS Colorado data center as well as a virtual firewall and virtual networking devices.
Today our hospitality property management system is available to us from virtually anywhere, and that’s attractive because we have so many office entities. The managed cloud service keeps it all operating smoothly.
Managed cloud extends IT resources and ensures high availability
For Potter, Sungard AS:
- Delivers a managed cloud environment that extends his resources with experienced professionals who employ best practices to ensure high availability of his applications, saving him from bringing on additional hardware and personnel.
- Supplies a virtual environment that offers mobility to Snowmass Hospitality, including remote check-in for guests, among other benefits.
- Furnishes flexible resources that allow Potter to scale his infrastructure environment to support peak season and low season requirements, complete with portals and dashboards to view the company’s usage of resources.
- Provides a best-of-breed IT environment which ensures the security and availability of the company’s critical data.
- Managed cloud environment that extends IT resources with best practices to ensure high availability.
- Virtual environment offering mobility for remote check-in and other benefits.
- Scalable environment to support peak season requirements.